Monday, November 8, 2010

Hello November!

Hi hi everyone!  Hope you all had a fabulous weekend!  Mine was pretty nice.  I'll be back later with a recap of the weekend.   But what I'm really getting excited about is the fact that I will be flying home for Thanksgiving break in approximately 14 days!  Not that I'm counting or anything...

So here is the news since I last posted:

1.  Spanish and I have parted ways.

 After much discussion and a few tears, I made the decision to withdraw from my Spanish course.  Admittedly, I was not doing very well but on top of that my professor seemed unwilling to consider why so many of her students were not doing well and instead advised us to simply drop the class.  After being yelled at to "pay attention" when I did not know the answer to a question only because I did not understand, I felt comfortable with my decision to leave.  If it turns out that I do in fact need to take Spanish in order to graduate, I will start over, but hopefully I'll find a professor more willing to teach.

2.  I got into Gallatin!
      Gallatin is the School of Individualized Study at NYU.  It basically means that I will be able to pick my classes, develop my own major, and have a lot more freedom because there won't be any requirements.  I will eventually have to present my major at the end of next year to some faculty members.

3.  In other happy news, the red Starbucks cups are back!

To me, the red cups mean comfy sweaters, wintry days, the prospect of snow, holidays and winter break.     I love it.

4.  Speaking of winter....it's getting cold!  This week the mornings have been in the low 40's...brrr.  Don't get me wrong, I knew winter in NYC was going to be cold but that doesn't mean I like it  or that I was ready for it!  It seems like just a few weeks ago that I was sweating to death in the 95 degree heat.  NYC is all about the extremes.  Extreme heat.  Extreme cold.  Extreme crowds.  At times, extreme loneliness.  And NYC always has the extreme craziness which is on view everyday, whether it's the man who screamed at me in Washington Square Park that he is the President of the United States or even my crazy roommates who insist on playing Justin Bieber at least once a day.
     And since it has been getting cold, my dearest mother sent me the cutest Lulu running clothes!  I needed some warmer stuff to run in for the next few months when I begin training for the Shamrock Half Marathon in March and the stuff she sent is the cutest!  Thanks Mom!





     So cute, right?  I just love lululemon!  Hint, hint....to anyone who feels the need to send me something since they miss me so much :)

The changing of the season and the realization that this year is almost over prompted me to feel kind of ambitious and I decided to make some goals for the rest of the year.  Some of them I want to complete by the end of the month, and some of them are just habits I want to stick with through the next two months and hopefully continue with them.  I thought sharing my goals would help me to follow through and make me more accountable.  So, ready for another list?

End of 2010 Goals:

1.  Map out my courses/requirements/plan for next 1.5 years until graduation (scary!).
          Since I just got into Gallatin, I need to figure out an academic plan.  I want to meet with an advisor and determine what courses I need to take to fulfill requirements, what courses I need to take/want to take for my major, and how I need to do this in order to graduate on time.  Figuring all of this out will give me some peace of mind and planning ahead is essential since I need to fit a lot of credits into a rather short period of time.

2.  Improve my grades.
         I am not doing badly in any of my current classes, but there is always room for improvement.

3.  Work on the procrastination.
        I've always been a bit of a procrastinator and probably always will be, but I want to at least work on starting my assignments further in advance then I have been.  This means I need to do my HW due on Wednesday over the weekend, and not Tuesday night and start my papers at least a week ahead of time. This is not going to be the easiest for me to do, but I'm going to work on it.

4.  Make contact with prospective offices for Summer Internships.
      Summer internships can be so competitive, especially in this economic climate so I want to get started early.  By the end of the month I want to have reached out to a few offices and either send in an application or know when they want it by.  If anyone has any ideas or contacts, let me know!

5.  Stick to my training schedule.
     I've started a workout regime that includes 3 days of strength training, one long run a week, 2 short runs a week and some cross training.  I want to be disciplined and stick to my schedule by doing the planned workout each day.  By doing this I think I can build a good base level of fitness to start my official half marathon training schedule.

6.  Drink 3L of water a day.
     Pretty self explanatory.  I need more aqua in my life.

7.  Journal my eats each day.
     I tend to eat healthier when I write down what I eat.  It helps me refrain from mindless and overeating.  Sometimes it is annoying but I'll be happy with the results if I keep this up.

8.  Do at least one thing each weekend that I've been wanting to do in the city.
     This could be seeing a show, visiting a park, going to a restaurant, exploring a new neighborhood, a museum, etc.  There is a lot I want to see and do in the city and I really want to take advantage of my time here.

Ok, there are all my goals.  Sorry this hasn't been the most exciting post, I just wanted to share.  Let me know what you all think!  I'll be posting sometime soon with pictures and a recap of my visit to the NYC marathon expo and everything else I did this weekend.  Farewell for now!

<3 from NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment