Monday, November 22, 2010

Almost Home

Hi!  So I've been a bad blogger...It's been far too long since I posted so I thought I'd put up a little something now.  It's very late right now and I am trying to get a few million things done before I fly home tomorrow evening!  I am attempting to get my homework done that is due next week so I don't have to do it while home, but I need a little break before I get back to my paper, packing, and cleaning.

So in the past few weeks here's what I've been up to...

I've been trying to cook and bake more.  Some of the things I've made include:

Pumpkin Muffins.

Fig Bars from Clean Eating magazine.  They taste like Fig Newtons and are super delicious.


And veggie soup.

I also made really good turkey chili that I've been slowly eating throughout the week.  All of these baking/cooking attempts have taught me that I need to have healthy options around the house to eat when I don't have time to cook.  The soup and chili has been great for that so I've been trying to make extra and freeze it.  But I've also discovered that as much as I like to bake, it's not really a good idea for me right now.  Because one I make something delicious...I want to eat it...all.  So baking will have to wait until I have a kitchen full of people to feed everything to and it's not all sitting there for me!  I would love anyone's advice on healthy eating/sticking to a plan when you're living in a college/communal environment.  It's definitely been an ongoing struggle for me but I'll continue to work at it.

On another note, I have been sticking with my training plan for the most part.  I substitute some days when school/life gets in the way but for the most part I have been doing my 3x a week strength training, about 2 or 3 runs a week, and about 1 or 2 days of cross training.  The workouts have been going well and have included some fabulous runs through Central Park.  I can't wait to start getting into my half marathon training starting in December!






I really love running there and am trying to do it at least once a week.  It is so beautiful, especially right now with all the colorful leaves.  There is also a great energy there because there are always so many runners and walkers, I even saw Al Roker running this past weekend!

On that note, my other celebrity sightings of late have included Brooke Shields, Tyson Beckford, Gabe from The Office, and Jimmy McMillan, the NYC mayoral candidate from The Rent is Too Damn High Party (Seriously, google him).

Other exciting occurences include a visit from Whitney!  She wasn't here very long but it was still fantastic!  We went to lunch at Le Pain Quotidien and I showed her the amazingness of 16 handles!  Can't wait til her next visit!

Also, the Christmas decorations have been popping up all over the city!  While, I do not myself celebrate the holiday, I still love the decorations, the lights, and the general holiday feeling in NYC!  I saw the Rockefeller tree the day it was being set up.  I definitely want to go back after it is all lit up.


   When I was walking in midtown I also noticed many of the department store windows were totally blacked out because they were putting up the infamous holiday windows!  Can't wait to go back and see these Saks windows.


 Here's Macy's decorations!


Once Thanksgiving is over I'm sure there will be holiday decorations everywhere!  I can't wait.  Ice skating in the park is another must do activity to get in the holiday spirit!  My roommates and I are planning on having a Hannukah party once we get back as well.  Hannukah is super early this year so since I  won't be home :( we are going to make latkes, light the candles, play dreidel, and maybe even decorate some Hannukah themed sugar cookies!

Another activity of note was seeing the Broadway show, Next to Normal, this past weekend.

I went with my friend Caroline and we won the student lottery so we got $25 box tickets!  The show was intense but I really loved it!  I am very happy I got to see it, since it is closing in January.

A few weeks ago I also tried to see the Daily Show.  I had tickets but they purposely oversell so they don't have empty seats which left me out in the cold.  I was dissapointed since they very rarely have tickets available but hopefulyl sometime in the  next two years I will be able to see it!

I also got to see Harry Potter at midnight!  It was amazing!  So much better than the last movie.  It makes me so sad that the next one is that last!  I really want to reread all the books before it comes out this summer.  The ads have been plastered all over almost every subway stop.


Ok, well I should probably get back to my criminology paper and laundry.  Maybe even sleep, since it is almost 2 AM.  Yikes.  At least I can sleep on the plane.  I will be home in less than 24 hours!  I can't wait to be in Portland, see my family and friends, see Lucy!, eat lots of yummy Thanksgiving food, go on runs with my mom and the Hurley's, go to Barre3, watch the Ducks play, and go to brunch at the Benson!  I will be very busy but it's going to be so worth it!  After this break, I hope to get back to more regular blogging.  I hope you all will continue to follow along!  See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment