Monday, October 11, 2010

It's a Go

    It's another beautiful day in New York and I'm having an excellent weekend so far.  The sun is shining, there aren't any clouds in the sky and it's right around 65 degrees.  I love it.  So here's the recap starting on Friday.
    Once again, I was up at what felt like the crack of dawn to go to Spanish class.  While I was lying in bed about an hour before class I was sooo close to just staying at home all warm and curled up, but I eventually forced myself up and made it there.  I'm only allowed three absences, and one will be used during Thanksgiving break, so I'm glad that I did not waste another one this early in the term.  Breakfast was oatmeal that I scarfed down on the way to the subway station.  After struggling through a lesson on verb conjugation I made it back home for some scrambled eggs and a much needed nap.  I finally forced myself off the couch after about an hour and forced myself to go somewhere else.

 The gym.  There are actually two gyms at NYU.  One is old, with about 60% broken equipment but is closer to campus.  The other is at Union Square, farther away, but is new and has TVs on every cardio machine.  Definitely worth the extra subway stop.  I spent about an hour on the treadmill and then met my roommate on campus for a quick lunch and the 7$ manicure I found!
  It was glorious.  And the day got even better after the manicure because we then headed up to Central Park to really enjoy the nice weather but before we got to the park we made a stop at...

Forty Carrots!  For those of you who haven't had the joy of forty carrots, you must go.  It is a frozen yogurt shop at the top of Bloomingdale's and it is heaven.  The peanut butter yogurt is the best, but they didn't have it on Friday so I had coffee with a layer of carob chips.  Yummmm.

    After the deliciousness we walked over to the park and enjoyed the beautiful day.  My friend and I walked and chatted.  It was a lovely way to start the weekend.

    After sitting for awhile we headed back downtown.  I grabbed a salad on campus, came home to eat it and get dressed.  We then joined my other roommates and some friends to go to a housewarming party.  While most of the transfer students I have met live in the dorms, one of my close friends has an apartment so we headed there to celebrate.  She even has roof access so it was amazing to see the views and hang out in the fresh New York City air.


    On Saturday I got to sleep in and woke up to some oats and eggs.  After a quick breakfast I met some of my friends that are in the Tisch School of the Arts, to see a show.  My roommate is an actor in Tisch, so through her I have met a lot of acting students.  They get a lot of free tickets to shows on and off Broadway so luckily I got one of their extra tickets and tagged along to see this:
   Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.  It is a new Broadway show with a lot of rock music and a pretty crazy set.
    I snuck this picture while waiting for the show to start.  There was a fake stuffed horse hanging from the ceiling, countless chandeliers and twinkly lights, and old portraits hanging all around.  Definitely the most elaborate and unique set of a show I have ever seen.  While the New York Times called the show "the most entertaining and most perceptive political theater of the season," I was not quite as thoroughly impressed.  It was a fun show but the lack of character development or gripping songs and somewhat forced "punk" attitude mostly turned me off.  But it was a free ticket and I had a good time.
    Outside of the theater I had another celebrity sighting!  T.R. Knight from Grey's Anatomy was exiting the theater next door where he is currently performing.  I wanted to take a picture but unfortunately did not get one that turned out.  Oh well.  So, after the show we spent the afternoon browsing plays in a drama book shop (maybe I am hanging out with too many theater students...), walking around midtown, grabbing dinner at Chipotle, wandering around Halloween costume shops near campus, and eventually watching some episodes of Arrested Development (a hilarious show by the way.  I highly suggest you watch it) back at the dorm.  By the end of the day my feet were quite tired from the heeled boots I had mistakenly chosen to wear...but it was a good day once again.
   This brings me to Sunday.  I got to sleep in once again and then met my friend and her boyfriend who is visiting from out of town for brunch at the lovely Le Pain Quotidien.  After a scrumptious breakfast of coffee and a frittata we headed back to Central Park, the perfect place for a sunny and lazy Sunday afternoon.  On the way there I stopped for some reading material at the Borders in Columbus Circle.
    We then wandered into the park.  We first chose the side of an empty baseball field to lay out our blanket.
   But we got kicked off by some kind of park security pretty quickly.  I'm still not exactly sure why.  So we kept walking and found sheep meadow.  It was a lot more crowded but still very nice.  It was the perfect temperature and we laid out for a few hours reading our books and chatting.

   Central Park is one of my favorite places.  After a few hours had passed and the shade was quickly taking over the meadow we decided to depart and I headed uptown back to Columbia University.  I wasn't exactly pleased to head back to Columbia as it is our rival in NYC but my roommate's high school friend was performing in an acapella show and I decided to accompany her.  The teams from Columbia, Wellesley, and William & Mary performed.  It was a short and casual show but a lot of fun.  It made me wish I could sing or perform.

    After the show we headed back downtown.  Now it may not seem like the Upper West Side and the Little Italy/SoHo/Chinatown area are that far away from one another but let me tell you that it is quite a trek.  Since we did not have much time we took a cab-but this may have been an even longer car ride that it would have been on the train.  Manhattan may be a small island but sometime it can take a very long time to get from place to place.  Having said that, I am glad I have been exploring the city.  Sometimes it is easy to get trapped in the campus/dorm bubble and not expand to other parts of New York but I think it is important to see more things and have experiences in New York outside of Greenwich Village and NYU.
      So anyways we were going back downtown to meet my roommates family who was in town, for dinner in Little Italy.  We went to a charming little restaurant called Da Nico.

     We ate with my roommate, her two sisters, her mother, and four other friends.  I had a delicious pizza primavera.  This is definitely a restaurant I would come back to.  After dinner we all headed back to our dorm, Laf, and spent the evening chatting and just having fun.
     Today we don't have any classes!  I have big plans of doing homework, reading and exercising.  The end of the long weekend depression has begun to set in but thankfully I have something to look forward to:


I'll be taking a bus from NYC to Washington DC for the rally and I can't wait.  I wish I could vote for Jon Stewart.  Steven Colbert is also holding the "Rally to Keep Fear Alive" at the same time so things should get interesting.
   Thanks for reading and miss you all!

   P.S. To distract any of you from your post-weekend sadness, I will leave you with this:


<3 from NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment