Tuesday, October 5, 2010

One Loooong Day

Hi again!  Thank you all for reading my first post.  I hope it can be a place to share with everyone what I've been up to, sort of like a journal for my time here, and I also want to be able to record my workouts and share my running and healthy eating plans.  Please feel free to follow the blog or leave a comment below :)
   So back to my day....it's been a long one.  I ended last night with a lot of this:

and a lot of this...


And the day started off at 5:30 AM with my alarm jolting me up after only 5 hours of sleep.  Hopefully my roommates didn't mind the early wake up call too much...By the time I was ready to go and on my way to the subway, it still looked like this outside:
Someone please remind me to NEVER take another 8 AM class.  But thankfully I had a delicious spinach feta wrap and hot latte to accompany my last minute studying.


     After my breakfast and my cram session, I headed over to my Spanish class in the Stern Business School.  I'm not sure exactly how it went.  It didn't feel too hard...but I never can tell how I do on language tests.  I'm just thankful it's over (well, until my next test in two weeks, but that's besides the point).  Next, I went to Power and Politics in America.  If someone just sat in on that class without knowing the topic they may think they are in a math class.  The political science department at NYU is highly quantitative, so that is taking some getting used to on my part.  By this time I had been up for about 6 hours and was seriously dragging so I got a delicious salad with spinach, tomatoes, feta, chicken, peas, and beets and headed over to Bobst Library to print out a HW assignment.  Normally, I avoid Bobst.  Especially, because it has a reputation as being a fairly depressing place (at least 9 students have committed suicide there and they now have protective glass around the staircase for prevention), so I just went in finished my assignment, printed it out and went on my merry way.
      I went to my next discussion where we watched a movie about the infamous gang, the Latin Kings (remind me to never get in their way), and then I went to my last (and 4th!) class of the day.  At one point I thought I might pass out from exhaustion and boredom, but somehow I made it through.  I think it has something to do with the cute outfit I was wearing (right, Mom?).
     I made it back to my dorm in Chinatown and quickly changed into my work out gear.  I was going to a workout class so I decided to jog there.  It was only about a mile there but it felt good to stretch my legs.  The short run also reminded me that running outside is way different than a treadmill, and that I need to start training outside more.  Especially since I just signed up for a 5k on Oct. 16th in Central Park! So exciting.  Anyways, on my short run I ran past the Tribeca Film Festival and the NYU law school (woohoo Aunt Lisa!).  One of the great things about NYC is all of the hidden treasures on each street.  Running around the city is a great way to explore and see things I may have never noticed normally.



 I went to a Physique 57 class which is similar to Barre3 back in Portland.

Today I signed up for an Open class instead of Beginner, which I normally do, and I regretted that decision about 10 minutes into class.  It was so much harder and I really struggled with some of the moves and positions.  I think I need a few more weeks of Beginner classes...

After that 60 minutes of torture, I met my suitemate for a dinner of salmon and potatoes on campus.  I was then faced with an extremely difficult decision.  See I had planned to go grocery shopping after dinner and then head back to the dorm in time for the best show ever, Glee.  However, once dinner was over it was almost 7:30 and I knew I would either have to give up grocery shopping or watching Glee live.  Can you guess what won?


I love that place.  I stocked up on groceries, chatted with my best friend and finally made it home.  And how did this long day end?  With a fire drill of course.  As soon as I started putting away my groceries, the loudest most obnoxious alarm went off and my roommates and I trekked down the 15 flights of stairs. We waited in the cold, were forced to wait longer because we forgot our ID cards and didn't know our ID numbers but we finally made it back up after just a little complaining and swearing on my part.  I'm now relaxing on the couch, watching TV and trying to forget about my 8 AM Spanish class in the morning...

<3 from NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment